Monday, July 13, 2009

Kalona bluegrass Festival

Well no pictures this time unless someone else sends me some. Too busy. Dan wanted me to go to the workshop on Friday day. Last year there had been 3 or 4 bases so I said I would. But wouldn't you know it I was the only one!!! Didn't mind the workshop its self so much but in the afternoon we broke up into three different bands and wouldn't you know it I got stuck with the loser group. Or maybe it was me that made it the loser group. Could very well be. The little girl wouldn't listen to anyone talked nonstop and her stage mom picked the songs we were to do. Poor choices. One of the guitar players had only been playing 3 months ( he was only 12), the banjo player 's timing wasn't the best and he couldn't sing in the key I was used to playing the song in. The other guitar player was OK and the dulcimer player chickened out. Wish I had. Being on stage was not the highlight of the week end. It had rained most of the day and was very humid. It had stopped raining by the time the show was to start but there was no breeze and 120% humidity. I was sweating like I had been running a marathon. Of course my group had the most teeth so we had to go first. I did not know the base would be miked. so the whole campground could hear how badly I did. Also had to go up steps to get to the stage. Carrying a base up steps when I can barely get up them myself was a real challenge. Sometimes someone was there to help, sometimes not. Then Janeen's group went on and did well and Katlin's group was last and of course she was awesome. Then we had to go back as the whole Workshop Band. By that time my glasses were so fogged up I could barely see. I was never so glad for something to be over in my life.

Cindy, Shane and Kyann came on Saturday to visit but Miss Kyann would not nap so they had to leave early. Still she was cute and running everywhere. Mary and Donnie had to go to a wedding on Saturday afternoon and we thought she could sleep in their camper while they were gone but she wanted no part of that. I spent a lot of the day cooking supper and they didn't even get to stay to eat. I felt bad for them all.

All in all it was an OK weekend minus the stage show.