Tuesday, October 16, 2012

North Carolina Day 3

 I slept pretty good but Connie didn't.  Never the less we were up and ready to go on time.  Today was the Biltmore house.  And it was awesome.  You couldn't take pictures inside which was a bummer but you started out on the main floor and then went up to the second and then up and then down and then up and then down.  Seemed like there were steps everywhere.  I really wanted to take a picture of the walls in the library.  The are made of hand tooled leather but there were guides everywhere so I behaved myself.
My favorite part was the basement.  They had a two lane bowling alley, a full size swimming pool, all the servants rooms (and they each had a private room), a kitchen, pantry,  a rotisserie room, I can't remember what all but it was pretty interesting.   As we came down the stairs from the third floor.  One of the older ladies was having some dizziness and leaning to the left.  So I had to put on my nurses hat for a while.  They got a wheel chair for her and the whole bus took turns sitting with her.   The outside was guarded by two lions.  
This V in the trees was intentional.  for Vanderbilt.  It has kind of grown in a little.  
This was the greenhouse at the end of the gardens.  Again steps and more steps.  but the flowers were beautiful.
This is one of the favorite pictures that I took.  Just loved the delicateness of the flower.  
Everything was very fallish, but they were getting ready for Christmas.  Planting trees and decorating in the house.  We loaded up and went to Antler Hill Winery.
We started with a wine tasting.  I wasn't really impressed.   But I'm not much into wine.  This was the cellar.  It used to be the dairy.  Perfect place to keep wine cool.  
Every thing had the Vanderbilt crest on it.  
We walked up to the farm place and saw this on the side walk.  I could not figure out what it was.  Can you?  I will tell you at the end of the day .
This was right next to it and I thought there had been a murder and it was a crime scene.  Don't think that was it but you never know.   About 5 we loaded up in the bus and set out for our supper that night.  We had no idea what it was but only that it was at Claxton Farms.     
We went down some gravel roads that I was not sure the bus would fit but Cal was a good driver and we arrived safely.  Our supper was bar-b-que brisket or chicken with all kinds of salads, baked beans and banana pudding or peach cobbler for dessert.   The food was very good! and the entertainment was really good too.  It was a bluegrass band called Bob Something and the Blue Ridge Tradition.  
These were the tables and
this was the view out that door!  I could watch that every day!  
This is a llama called Marshmallow.  They also had miniature horses that were really cute.
Everyone was so tired from all the walking at Biltmore that we left a little early and headed back down the gravel roads to the hotel.  They really expect old folks to keep a hectic  pace.   We were up at 6 and on the go till 8 or after every day.  Made me sleep really good.

Did you figure it out?  It was a bike path.  If you look at it up side down it does look like a bike.